In the latest tropical outlook from the National Hurricane Center (NHC), meteorologists there say a tropical depression could form off the southeast US Coast soon. Showers and thunderstorms associated with a broad area of low pressure located about 300 miles east of the Turks and Caicos Islands have changed little in organization since this morning. Dry air aloft and unfavorable upper-level winds have limited significant development during the past few days.
However, environmental conditions are expected to become a little more conducive for development during the next day or two, and this system could become a tropical depression over the weekend according to the NHC. The low is forecast to move generally northwestward through the weekend and is likely to turn northeastward away from the United States early next week.
As of the latest tropical outlook, the NHC believes there is a 40% chance of tropical cyclone formation over the next 48 hours and 60% over the next 5 days.
Experts believe this Atlantic Hurricane Season, which runs through to the end of November, will be a busy one. Dr. Phil Klotzbach and the experts at Colorado State University updated their seasonal outlook again on July 5, showing a much more active than normal season expected. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) also released their own forecast which shows this hurricane season to be likely more active than others.